FOODIE FRIDAY – (enjoy a new recipe to try this weekend!)
Oh baby I have a craving for some Plum Cake. It brings back such memories. My Hungarian Grandmother used to make it all the time. It’s so delicious that I can eat the whole damn thing myself! And actually it’s a requirement. It usually tastes the best the first day.
GERMAN PLUM CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 large plums, halved, pitted, each cut into 8 wedges
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Sift flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and salt into small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat 6 tablespoons butter with 2/3 cup sugar in large bowl until well blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then extracts. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with sour cream in 2 additions. Spread batter in pan.
Arrange plum wedges on their sides in 4 long rows atop batter. Mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle over plums. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Drizzle over kuchen.
Eat now WALTZ!
Laugh, learn and liven up your taste buds!