FOODIE FRIDAY – (enjoy a new recipe to try this weekend!)
PEAR, PEACH AND CUCUMBER SALAD WITH WALNUTS AND RUM-VANILLA SYRUP
1 small cucumber
100 ml/ 0,42 cup cooked bulgur
10 walnuts halves
zest from 1 lime chopped finely or cut into thin, thin strips
50 ml/ 0,21 cup rum
50 ml/ 0,21 cup water
100 g/ 3,5 oz sugar
1 pinch of vanilla powder (ground vanilla pods) or 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
– Start with the syrup: put the ingredients in a small pan and let it simmer until it has thickened into a syrup. Leave to cool.
– Cut the fruit into pieces, if the skins are thick peel them off, otherwise keep them as it adds a bit of colour.
– Peel the cucumber and dice it finely. Chop or crush the walnuts.
– Put fruit, cucumber and walnuts in a bowl, add as much of the syrup you want, the lime zest and stir. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
– Add the bulgur and serve.
Laugh, learn and liven up your taste buds!