You-Won’t-Be-Single-For-Long Vodka Cream Pasta
Recipe from “30 Minute Meals 2” by Rachael Ray
1 Tbls olive oil
1 Tbls butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, minced
1 cup vodka
1 cup chicken stock
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup half and half (she uses heavy cream)
12 oz. pasta, such as penne rigate
20 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn (fresh is definitely best in this recipe)
Crusty bread – I think it goes great with Pepperidge Farm frozen garlic bread – follow the baking instructions on the package – it only takes about 8 minutes in the oven!
1) Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
2) Heat a large skilled over moderate heat. Add oil, butter, garlic, and shallots. Gently saute, 3-5 minutes to develop their sweetness.
3) Add vodka, 3 turns around the pan in a steady stream will equal about a cup. Reduce vodka by half, 2 or 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring sauce to a bubble, the reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
4) While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente, a bit firm to the bite. While pasta cooks, prepare the bread.
5) Stir 1/2 and 1/2 into the vodka sauce. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove from heat. Drain pasta. Toss hot pasta with sauce and basil leaves. Serve immediately, along with crusty bread.
Laugh, learn and liven up your taste buds!