Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany is a medieval old town. This beautiful little town on the Romantic Road is for tourists the epitome of German cities. The Altstadt (old town) of Rothenburg Germany is a patchwork of winding cobbled lanes lined with picturesque half timbered houses. We will be staying with relatives that live only 15 minutes away from this incredible place. Cousin Andrea is thrilled to be able to show cousin John the medieval torture museum!!!
Every German city has its food speciality, such as Berlin which is famous for its jelly donuts and Nürnberg which has its Nürnberger Bratwurst. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is famous for Schneeballen (Snow balls) which are strips of noodle pastry, formed into a ball and deep-fried for four minutes in hot fat, then dusted with powdered sugar.
The photo shows the original Schneeballen dusted with powdered sugar on the left; in the center are cinnamon flavored balls, with chocolate covered ones on the right.
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cloves
1 pt. sour cream
4-5 cups Flour or as much as needed to make a medium stiff dough
1. Mix the eggs and sugar together then mix in the remaining ingredients, adding the flour last in small amounts till you have a medium stiff dough.
2. Pinch a walnut size piece of dough and roll out into a 4 by 4 inch circle. Cut in strips with a fluted pastry wheel or a knife.
3. Lift weaving and sort of hold them together into a ball.
4. Deep fry till brown on one side. Flip it over and then brown on the other side. Push sides in to make a ball.
5. Lift out onto a plate. Press again into a ball shape while still warm.
6. Dust with powdered sugar.
Laugh, learn and liven up your taste buds.